The U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) requires that homeowner(s) interested in pursuing a Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) receive mandatory reverse mortgage counseling regarding the implications of and alternatives to a reverse mortgage from a HUD-approved HECM counseling agency.
We are required by HUD regulations to provide you with a list of reverse mortgage counseling agencies.
The list must include all HUD-approved counseling intermediaries that can provide telephonic counseling, as well as five (5) counseling agencies within your local area, state or both, with at least one of the local agencies located within a reasonable driving distance for the purpose of face-to-face counseling.
Top Reverse Mortgage Counseling Agencies
Counseling Agency Next Appointment Fee HECM Approved JUMBO Approved Phone Website
Cambridge Credit Counseling 72 hrs. $125 Yes Yes 888-764-7460 Website
QuickCert, Inc. 24 hrs. $125 Yes Yes 888-383-8885 Website
Smart Money Housing 24 hrs. $125 Yes No 800-403-3807 Website
DebtHelper.com 1 Week $125 Yes Yes 800-920-2262 Website
GreenPath Financial Wellness 1 Week $199 Yes Yes 888-860-4167 Website
Hancock Community Development, Inc 1 Week $175 Yes No 877-284-4326 Website
Hope Inc. 1 Week $175 Yes No 888-776-0155 Website
Money Management International (MMI) 1 Week $175 Yes Yes 877-908-2227 Website
Clearpoint Financial Solutions 2 Weeks $175 Yes No 877-877-1995 Website
Steps to receiving your reverse mortgage counseling certificate
- Request your pre-counseling document set (Includes loan comparison, closing cost worksheet, amortization schedule, TALC – total annual loan costs)
- Have these mandatory documents available: HUD document titled “preparing for your counseling session” and NCOA booklet “use Your Home to Stay Home” (.PDF versions provided below)
- Determine whether you wish to see a counselor in person or obtain counseling by phone
- Call around and check counselor availability and pricing. Some counseling agencies only accept payment upfront while others allow you to put their fee into the reverse mortgage closing costs
- After you have received your counseling you will receive three copies of your certificate in the mail and have the option to have your counselor fax or email a copy of the certificate to your lender
In-Person HECM Counseling Locator
Search our newest interactive map that locates HUD approved agencies nearby with in-person availability.
Counseling for those with vested interest
- Independent reverse mortgage counseling is required prior to closing for the borrower and co-borrower, who will have a vested interest at closing
- Power of Attorney or Guardian/Conservator must be counseled on behalf of any borrower(s) or vested owner(s) that are legally incompetent.
Note: POA for convenience is not permitted at this time
- CA and AZ – Counseling must be completed prior to application
- TX – Counseling must be completed at least 5 days prior to closing. The TX counseling cert is good for 180 days.
Note: See state regulations for additional requirements and timing.
Top 5 FAQs
What is reverse mortgage counseling?
The counseling on a reverse mortgage is an independent session conducted by a third party. It is a requirement for all reverse mortgage loans. The purpose of the counseling is to ensure that all borrowers and spouses understand what a reverse mortgage is and their obligations when they have one.
How long is a reverse mortgage counseling certificate good for?
A reverse mortgage counseling certificate is valid for 180 days. For HECM loans in most states, the certificate must be current at case number assignment, but the loan can close if the certificate has expired. In some states like Texas for example, the certificate must be unexpired at time of closing or the borrower would have to complete another counseling session prior to loan closing.
Why is counseling a requirement to get a reverse mortgage?
A reverse mortgage loan is a complex financial instrument and therefore the counseling is required as a safeguard to the consumer. FHA and mortgage lenders need to be sure that all reverse mortgage applicants truly understand what a reverse mortgage is and their requirements as a homeowner obtaining a reverse mortgage.
Who is required to complete reverse mortgage counseling?
All borrowers on the loan as well as any non-borrowing spouses are required to be counseled. Additionally, any Remaindermen of a Life Estate or any other parties who hold title to the property who are not eligible borrowers must also be counseled for the reverse mortgage.
Are the heirs responsible for reverse mortgage debt?
There is no personal liability for the reverse mortgage loan to the borrower or their heirs. The sole collateral for the reverse mortgage loan is the property. If the property value is lower than the accrued loan balance on the reverse, the heir does not have to satisfy the balance of the reverse mortgage loan and can simply sign a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure to the lender and move on with no further obligations.
What happens after your counseling session?
After you have completed your counseling you will be mailed a certificate of completion (view sample certificate).
This Counseling certificate should be signed and returned to your lender if you wish to proceed with the processing of the loan.
No 3rd party services may be ordered such as Appraisal, Title, Escrow until the lender has your signed certificate in hand.
Additional Documents for CA Homeowners
- CA Reverse Mortgage Worksheet Guide (PDF file, 2 Pages)
- CA Important Notice to Reverse Mortgage Loan Applicant (PDF file, 1 Page)