|Counseling Agency||Phone||Availability||Languages||Jumbo Approved|
|Cambridge Credit Counseling||888-764-7460||24 hrs.||English, Spanish, Polish, Italian||YES|
|Quickcert||888-383-8885||24 hrs.||English, Spanish, or you may have own Interpreter||YES|
|Debt Helper||888-860-4167||24 hrs.||English, Spanish, or you may have own Interpreter||YES|
|Greenpath||888-860-4167||24-48 hrs.||English, Spanish, or you may have own Interpreter||YES|
|Smart Money Housing||800-403-3807||24-48 hrs.||English||NO|
|Hancock Development||877-284-4326||24-48 hrs.||English||NO|
|Hope Inc.||888-776-0155||48-72 hrs.||English||NO|
|Money Management International||877-908-2227||48-72 hrs.||English, Spanish||YES|
|National Foundation on Credit Counseling||866-698-6322||3 Weeks||English||YES|
|Clearpoint Financial Soluitions||877-877-1995||2 Weeks||English, Spanish||NO|
Steps to receiving a reverse mortgage counseling certificate:
- Request your pre-counseling document set. (Includes loan comparison, closing cost worksheet, amortization schedule, TALC – total annual loan costs)
- Have these mandatory documents available: HUD document titled “preparing for your counseling session” and NCOA booklet “use Your Home to Stay Home” (.PDF versions provided below)
- Determine whether or not you wish to see a counselor in person or obtain counseling by phone
- Call around and check counselor availability and pricing. Some counseling agencies only accept payment upfront while others allow you to put their fee into the reverse mortgage closing costs.
- After you have received your counseling you will receive three copies of your certificate in the mail and have the option to have your counselor fax or email a copy of the certificate to your lender.
The U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) requires that homeowner(s) interested in pursuing a Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) receive mandatory counseling regarding the implications of and alternatives to a reverse mortgage from a HUD-approved HECM counseling agency.
We are required by HUD regulations to provide you with a list of reverse mortgage counseling agencies. The list must include all HUD-approved counseling intermediaries that can provide telephonic counseling, as well as five (5) counseling agencies within your local area, state or both, with at least one of the local agencies located within a reasonable driving distance for the purpose of face-to-face counseling.
To receive your local list please request your pre-counseling documents above or call Toll Free (800) 565-1722.
Mandatory Documents for Your Reverse Mortgage Counseling Session
- Preparing for your Counseling Session (PDF file, 4 Pages)
- Use Your Home to Stay at Home™ (PDF file, 26 Pages)
Additional Documents for CA Homeowners
- CA Reverse Mortgage Worksheet Guide (PDF file, 2 Pages)
- CA Important Notice to Reverse Mortgage Loan Applicant (PDF file, 1 Page)
Counseling & vested interest:
- Independent reverse mortgage counseling is required prior to closing for the borrower and co-borrower, who will have a vested interest at closing
- Power of Attorney or Guardian/Conservator must be counseled on behalf of any borrower(s) or vested owner(s) that are legally incompetent.
Note: POA for convenience is not permitted at this time
- CA and AZ – Counseling must be completed prior to application
- TX – Counseling must be completed at least 5 days prior to closing. The TX counseling cert is good for 180 days.
Note: See state regulations for additional requirements and timing.
What happens after Reverse Mortgage Counseling?
After you have completed your counseling session you will be mailed a certificate of completion (view sample document). This Counseling certificate should be signed and returned to your lender if you wish to proceed with the processing of the loan. No 3rd party services may be ordered such as Appraisal, Title, Escrow until the lender has your signed certificate in hand.