reverse mortgage trusts questions and answers

Hi, I'm ARLO and I Love Questions!

All Reverse Mortgage's resident expert ARLO loves to answer questions. No question is too big or small for him or any of our other experts to answer, so please ask away! We will respond as soon as possible.
Sending Your Question
* Your privacy is very important to us, we will never sell or give your email address or info to any 3rd party unless you give us express permission to do so.

Reverse Mortgage Trusts

Accurate, Up to Date, Reverse Mortgage Information & Answers from our Experts.

Answered By Our Experts

Question From Lilian A.
I have a reverse mortgage can i do a living trust?
Expert Answer

Hi Lillian,

You sure can.  Before you transfer the property into the trust, send a copy to your servicer for approval though.  Most of the trusts created do meet HUD requirements but every once in a while we run into one that does not contain the safeguards that are required and it’s a simple process to have it amended, but you would want to know this before you did any transfer of title.  You can easily record the Deed to move your property into the trust once the servicer has approved it and you don’t have to worry about running the risk of issues with your lender if the initial version of the trust does not contain the correct wording to avoid a due on sale provision or duplicate fees for extra recordings.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Bonnie
My mother had a reverse mortgage, she died. She had a trust with her children's names on it. The mortgage company offered it to anyone of her children. One child wanted to pay the debt, do the other family members need to sign a quick claim to let him have the property, before they could get the property?
Expert Answer

Hi Bonnie,

I cannot answer this because it is a legal question that may require a review of the laws of the state and the trust.  It would seem that a Quit Claim Deed would seem reasonable from all who had a possible interest who were not willing to participate with any steps necessary to protect their interest (whether that means pay money to retire the debt or monthly payments on a new loan, etc.), but I cannot say and I would strongly suggest that you contact competent legal counsel with this question.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Larry F.
My sister who is widowed lives on her Calif Ranch of 4 acres. The house is held in an irrevocable trust with her owning 50% and the other half going to her decedent husbands 2 kids after she dies. Is it possible for her to take out a reverse mortgage on her half of the property. The value of her half would be 500,000.00...thanks
Expert Answer

Hello Larry,

She would not be able to get the loan under these circumstances.  As would be the case with any other FHA-Insured loan, the title would have to be clear to be able to be used as the security for the loan.  If there are others on title to the property and HUD had to enforce the terms of the loan, they would be unable to do so if others who did not agree to the terms of the loans were also on title.  Also, what would the lender or HUD do if the co-owners didn't pay their taxes or maintain "their half" of the home?  How would they enforce the terms on half the parcel?  Unfortunately they could not.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Ellie
My friend is a beneficiary of a life estate from a friend (no blood relation). The ultimate beneficiary after death of the life estate beneficiary are the children of the grantor (through a trust). The trust provides that the beneficiary of the life estate must pay mortgage (on top of ordinary maintenance, etc). The house has been owned by the grantor and the beneficiary since 1992 with reverse mortgage (1st and 2nd Notes), the total amount of which roughly equals the FMV of the house. During the lifetime of the grantor, the co-owners never paid anything on the reverse mortgage Question: Is the lifetime beneficiary now responsible for paying at least the one-half owned by the deceased grantor per the trust terms, or will the mortgage note govern this issue? And/or will the beneficiary of the life estate (from her assets after her death) be responsible for the mortgage?
Expert Answer

Hello Ellie,

These are questions you need to ask of a licensed attorney in the state in which the property is located.  It really doesn’t have anything to do with the loan or the terms of the loan but with the rights and obligations of heirs and parties to the trust and for that, you really do need to consult with a licensed attorney.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Gayle
My step-father set up a revocable Living Trust naming me executor and successor trustee in the event of his death. He has since passed away. As successor trustee, can I get a reverse mortgage ?
Expert Answer

Hi Gayle,

The Trustee of the Trust is usually the one who administers the trust and this may or may not mean that you also are the sole beneficiary of the trust or the “owner” of the property now.  If you inherited the property, you live there as your primary residence and the property is in a revocable trust for which you are now the beneficiary and trustee, the chances are very good that you can now get a reverse mortgage on the home but you would have to have the trust reviewed first before anyone could tell you that for certain.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Bill
I want to add property with existing reverse mortgage to revocable trust. Is this possible, assuming that it meets HECM requirements?
Expert Answer

Hi Bill,

This is not a problem at all.  Have your attorney prepare the trust and submit to the servicer for approval before you change title.  Once the trust is approved, you can change the title with no worries.  You just don’t want to make the change until after approval just in case there is something in the trust that is not ok.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Nora M.
Can you get a reverse mortgage if you have a living will?
Expert Answer

Hi Nora,

The presence or absence of a will does not affect your ability to get a reverse mortgage in most cases.  If you also have the title to your property in the name of a trust in conjunction with that will, the trust has to meet HUD guidelines but that is even still acceptable. 

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Gail F.
My dad had my sister and I in a life estate on his home. Years later he took out a reverse mortgage but his name never appeared as ‘mortgagor’ just as ‘owner’. Our names were shown as ‘mortgagors’ but she and I were both under age 62. Now that my dad has passed we’ve realized this and are wondering if the document (R.M.) is void as it was an FHA HECM RM? Don’t know anyone that has handled a RM with a life estate in WI.
Expert Answer

Hi Gail,

This sounds odd but I certainly can’t make any judgements with the information given and without having been part of the transaction.  I would definitely suggest that you seek counsel with a qualified legal representative in the state in which the property is located.  I think it would be a wise investment just to know what all the documents actually stated, what the title is now, if it changed during the course of the loan and whether or not everything was handled appropriately.  If there were any mistakes made, he would be able to advise you on possible remedies.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Randy
I am living in my home with my sister in Texas. I am 64 and she is 62. My sister is NOT on the title of the home. We would like to get a reverse mortgage with both of us being on the loan so that in the event that I would die she could continue to live in the home. However, I would like the home to pass to my daughter upon my death. Is it possible to transfer ownership of the home to my daughter with the reverse mortgage still intact for my surviving sister to still be able to live there, or would the loan need to be repaid to transfer ownership?
Expert Answer

Hi Randy,

You’re caught between the desire to protect your sister’s ability to live in the home and your desire to transfer title to your daughter upon your death.  You can do one or the other, but to do both I think you would need to engage the help of an attorney to set something up (trust, etc) so that the title reverts to your daughter upon the death of both you and your sister, not just you.  Let’s go through how the reverse mortgage would have to be structured in order to protect both you and your sister and then the question is how do you get title to your daughter after that.

You and your sister would both have to be on title at the time the loan was taken out and then you would both be covered for life as long as one or the other of you was still living in the home.  As soon as neither of you was on title or living in the home, the loan would become due and payable at that time.  If the title went to your daughter upon your death, then the loan would become due and payable as a result of neither of you retaining title any longer.  In other words, even if your sister was still living in the home, if she was no longer on title after your passing the loan would be due and payable.

One or the other of you has to still be living in the home and be on title for the loan to remain active.  I am not an attorney and I cannot advise you on legal matters, but it seems to me that an attorney may be able to achieve your goals with a family trust though.  I would suggest that you speak with an attorney about setting up a trust that places the property into an FHA eligible trust whereby your daughter is the only individual who stands to ultimately own the assets of the trust after both you and your sister pass.  The attorney can tell you if this is possible and if there are any negative aspects to such an action of which I am not aware.  Again, I am not an attorney and I am not familiar with all the heirship laws in Texas but this is certainly where I would start and see if this would achieve your desired goals.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Yolanda C.
My mother had a living trust n my siblings are executors of the estate. My mother also had dementia which she was diagnosed in 2006 the reverse mortgage was granted in 2011. The bank failed to do a title search n my siblings were able to take out 250.000.00 from the property plus take money out of her bank accounts.
Expert Answer

Hi Yolanda,

I don’t see a question here but it sounds like you are questioning their rights to act on your mom’s behalf.  A title search would indicate the manner in which title was held and are you saying that the lender did not know the title was in the name of the trust and the loan was done to your mother as an individual?  Because I don’t know how you came to the conclusion that there was no title search completed.  If your mom’s house was in the name of her trust but she had authorized your siblings to act on her behalf, the fact that the property was in a trust would not prevent them from doing any loan.  Also, the fact that your mother had dementia which was diagnosed prior to the loan would not necessarily have prevented her from obtaining a reverse mortgage as long as there was a person who had a properly executed Power of Attorney or the court ordered a conservatorship that allowed for the reverse mortgage even after that. 

HUD’s rules for the ability to obtain a reverse mortgage for an individual who lacks competency (such as an individual with dementia) are very explicit.  If your mother had already entrusted them with a Power of Attorney which predated the onset of her illness, they had the legal right to encumber the home with a mortgage, reverse or otherwise.  Your mother gave them that authority by granting them power of attorney.  And it sounds like they may have been on her bank accounts as well or they would not have had the opportunity to take funds from them. 

Have you talked to your siblings about this matter?  I think I would start there to see what the money went toward – the loan may have been used to pay off an existing mortgage so that mom could stay in the home without having to make another mortgage payment.  It may have gone to living expenses or who knows what but they may surprise you and have records of money spent.  If you feel that they are not doing things in your mom’s best interest, then you may want to seek the counsel of an attorney.  You just have to realize that if mom had the foresight to establish a trust, she may have put the other steps in place that allowed your siblings to get the reverse mortgage with no shady actions whatsoever.  Maybe you can even contact mom’s attorney.  He or she may be able to give you some insight into your mother’s written instructions and who has the ability to act in what capacities for your mom as well.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Nat
Can the property that has a reverse mortgage be moved to trust?
Expert Answer

Hello Nat,

You can move a property encumbered by a reverse mortgage into an approved trust.  However, since the trust has to meet HUD parameters, you should have the trust created and send it to the servicing lender for review and approval before you change the title to the property.  Most trusts created today are acceptable but if the attorney who created the trust included any language that would make the trust unacceptable, or if the trust changes the title so that the original borrowers are not the trustees and therefore someone else became the trustee (owner) of the trust and property, the loan could be called due and payable.  This is why you would want the trust approved before you changed the title to avoid this mistake.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From B. Daniels
From MA: Parents divided taxable assets. Dad passed 14 years ago, making his trust irrevocable. Mom still here, but ran out of money to live with. House paid for, all qualifies for reverse mortgage, except lender legal team said no because 1/2 of house under irrevocable trust, other 1/2 (hers) revocable. How do we get this through?
Expert Answer

Good Afternoon,

We do sometimes run across issues such as this and there really is no way to complete the mortgage on this property based on the fact that you can’t place the loan on half of the house.  The property title has to be clear for the borrower to obtain a loan, they can’t get the loan on half of the property.  If she can sell the home or her interest she could use her proceeds to purchase another home using the reverse mortgage on the property she buys in just her name if that would work.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Mark
A house that want to buy is in a revocable trust and the borrower died with a reverse mortgage. It has a 600K balance and trustee wants to elevate the 700k appraisal that I paid for to 900k+ to have borrowers wishes covered? It has been about 60 days since borrower's death and mortgage company is pushing.Trust was not funded Thoughts
Expert Answer

Hi Mark,

The lender has already done their own appraisal and if the home is valued at $700,000 on their appraisal as well and they see that the current trustee is refusing to sell for less than $900,000, they will not grant any extensions before it goes to foreclosure.  The lender is best served by allowing the heirs to sell the home and pay the loan off, thereby not have to go through the foreclosure process.  However, once it becomes apparent that the heirs are not making a good faith effort to sell the home or are completely unreasonable about the value expectations, they will begin the foreclosure process as the foreclosure itself takes a while and they won’t wait forever to begin.  If that happens, the trustee may get more reasonable about the asking price or you may have another opportunity to purchase at the foreclosure sale by bidding since the lender can only start the bidding at what is owed is owed on the loan (plus foreclosure costs) and then any other bidders bid from there but the lender cannot bid again higher.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Charles S.
After borrower died the property subject to reverse mortgage that was in a living trust, was sold by me as successor trustee. The loan was paid our of the sale proceeds but the mortgage company was overpaid. Subsequently, the mortgage company sent check made payable to the deceased rather than the trust. The mortgage company has refused to reissue the check in the name of the trust and the bank refused to accept the check in the trust account. I'm trying to pay the beneficiaries and close the trust. What should I do?
Expert Answer

Hi Charles,

If the loan was also in the name of the trust, I don’t know why this should be such as issue.  Have you gone higher at the servicing company to request assistance?  If so and you have gotten no help, you may have to request an attorney get involved to settle the matter.  This seems extremely odd though, especially if the loan was in the trust anyway but you may need to go over the head of the person who is planting their feet so firmly and go up the ladder a few rungs.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Secrette H.
Can a church have a reverse mortgage?
Expert Answer

Hi Secrette,

Reverse mortgages can be made only to individuals and their qualifying trusts.  The loan is based on the age of the youngest borrower with consideration of the property value and interest rates.  Churches, corporations, partnerships, etc. are not living beings with life expectancies that can be quantified and therefore risks and payback models determined.  HUD would have no way to set the amount available as there could be no expectation of an end date.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Sherry
I was under age nine years ago when we took on the reverse mortgage in just my husbands name. Our property value has went down so when I turn 62 I was not able to become part of the loan or refinance. We are now doing a trust and the legal aid put the house in the trust with both of our names on it. Is this legal or will I get some type of repercussion? Or do I even want to be on the grant deed.
Expert Answer

Hi Sherry,

There is no problem adding your name to title now and it’s actually a good idea.  Not only do the loan documents not prohibit it, there is specific language that allow it.  As long as your husband’s name remains on title, he can add you with no repercussions to the loan at all (but remember to have the trust approved with the servicer). 

The reason this is actually a good idea is so that if anything happens to your husband, you need to make a decision if you want to sell the property, obtain financing in your name and keep it or just walk away from it with no further obligations.  If you choose the latter, being on title is not important.  The reverse mortgage is a non-recourse loan and if you choose to let the lender take the home and not pay off the loan or sell the house after your husband passes for any reason, the lender cannot seek repayment from you in any other form regardless of whether you are on the title or not.  However, if you do want to sell the property to retain any equity or if you do want to obtain any financing at that time and keep the home, you would not be able to do so until you were on title to the property.  If you wait until after your husband passes to do this, there could be delays with probate, etc. at that time that interfere with your plans.   If you are already on title, you can make your decision immediately and then act at your speed, not some court with a time constraint.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Kendall C.
Can the living trust property be changed to individual names? escrow company or lender qualify to do this service?
Expert Answer

Hi Kendall,

As long as the reverse mortgage borrower who was the Trustee at the time of the original loan is still living in the home and will be the one whose name the property is transferred to, this would not be a problem as long as the trust allows it.  If you are talking about a loan that has not closed yet, the owner can certainly also take the home out of the trust and place it into their own name, also provided the trust allows this pursuant to the terms of the trust. 

But I would suggest you have the attorney who prepared the trust make the change and not a third party such as a lender or title company/escrow company make the change.  They may be able to physically prepare the Deed to change the title, but there may be other implications that need to be considered.  If the change of title is not done correctly, there could be tax consequences, there could be a provision in the trust itself of which the lender/title is not aware or other issues that would make the attorney a much better option.  Two examples come immediately to mind and am I sure there may be others.  One was a borrower who had her title changed and the change was not prepared so that it did not trigger reassessment of the property.  She went from a very low tax base to a much great cost and at last report, the taxation authority was not backing down.  Another example was a borrower who took a property out of a trust and when he did it, it triggered some provision in the trust for a sale and division of property with family members who did not have a good relationship.  I don’t know if you have any issues like this with your circumstances or not but I truly believe it is worth the cost to have it handled correctly the first time!

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Linda J.
6 years ago my parents passed away. I am the Primary on a small Trust that also had a SNT. I was told 6 years ago that I had to move from my parents home; sell the home; and a small property would be purchased for me.The SNT could never be funded due to the size of the Trust.I have been moved into a small property. However, I will be moved frequently as the Trust needs to gain equity to keep the Trust afloat.Can the Trust purchase for me another property now and then secure a reverse mortgage? This will not provide me any additional funds. I am trying to prevent being moved frequently.If this is possible can the Trust then pay for any repairs to the property versus forcing me to pay for these repairs.
Expert Answer

Hi Linda,

It seems to me that this question can be asked one of two ways and there could possibly be a different answer.  Can the trust purchase a home for you?  I can’t answer that.  That would depend on your trust and how it is established and the terms.  You should seek the advice of competent legal counsel on that issue.

The second possible way this question could be asked is can you purchase a home in the name of a trust.  The answer to that question is yes, as long as the trust meets HUD requirements.  Again though, I am not familiar with all the terms and I would caution that you would want to be sure that the reverse mortgage would allow you to remain in the same property as the costs to move multiple times would be prohibitive if the loan did not achieve that goal.  With regard to the costs of the property, we have had income and expenses met by trusts in the past that were acceptable, again though, it would depend on the terms of your particular trust.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Michelle
As a military widow with Reverse Mortgage and a significant other sharing the home; can I place the property in a Revocable Trust or other legal instrument whereby said party can continue living in the home as beneficiary Trustee after my passing and act with Power of Attorney following my death to distribute or sell real and personal property? Can he qualify as a non-borrowing party beneficiary? Should any sale of the real property be required, those resources would go toward the payoff of the Reverse Mortgage. My significant other is not on the deed or Reverse Mortgage loan. We were not together at the time this action originated. We are prohibited from marrying because I am a military widow who cannot afford to give up my military benefits.
Expert Answer

Hello Michelle,

The existing loan will be called due and payable when you are no longer living in the home as your primary residence under the terms of the loan.  The benefits are determined based on the age of the younger spouse and so, any time borrowers married to younger spouses after the date the loan was closed, the benefits would not be accurately determined if that younger spouse were allowed to be placed on the loan  and given the same option to stay in the home for life without making a payment.  The program is not designed to allow for the addition of others after the close as that would completely throw off all assumptions and there would be no way to compute borrower benefits. 

You can place the home in an approved trust as long as the trust meets HUD’s requirements and most do since the requirements are geared toward borrower protection in most instances (have the trust reviewed by the lender before you change the title to be sure it meets all of HUD’s requirements).  You can also add anyone to title at any time as long as you remain on title (if you transfer title to someone else in its entirety and you are no longer on title with them, the loan would be called due and payable).  The trust or adding another to title now might make it easier for them to sell the property if something were to happen to you but unfortunately, it would not allow them to remain in the home without paying off the loan.  Since the loan would be due and payable, if they wanted to remain in the property, they would have to either have sufficient funds to pay off the loan themselves of seek other financing at that time to refinance the reverse mortgage loan that has become due.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Confused in CA
A family friend who has no family had my Mom listed as his executor of trust and my minor children listed second.We think he may have taken a reverse mortgage on his home. He passed away in 02/16. Nobody contacted my Mom regarding his home. We cleaned the home out & did nothing further with it at that time (that I’m aware of). My Mom passed on 03/17. My husband went to check on our friends home to see how the property was looking. There was a notice posted from HUD stating nobody may enter Home until it’s listed.What does this mean? If my children were listed in the trust, then shouldn’t we have received an option to buy the home before it going to foreclosure? He had no mortgage, but may have had the reverse mortgage, but in what I’ve read it seems to me the executors would have been given option to buy home. Can you give me some insight into this and if there is anything I should do?Thank you.
Expert Answer

I have no way of knowing if the property was vested in the name of the trust or to the family friend as an individual.  If the property was vested to the trust, then the successor trustee (your mom) would have had to contact the lender to settle the reverse mortgage when the primary borrower passed in February of 2016.  When the borrower first acquired the reverse mortgage, he designated an “alternate contact” on his loan.  This is an individual who the lender can contact in the event of incapacitation, death or for any reason if the borrower cannot be reached (if all contact is broken off as would be the case if the borrower passed).  I don’t know if your mom was that individual or not but that would be who the lender attempted to contact once they could no longer reach the borrower. 

If the property was vacant and no heirs contacted the lender to attempt to settle the reverse mortgage account, eventually, the lender would file a foreclosure action.  As your timeline suggests, the borrower passed in February of 2016 and that is when the loan became due and payable.  After a period of time, the lender would file a notice of default, there would be specified periods of time mandated by local laws during which the lender would have to wait until the property would finally go to foreclosure sale after various notices are filed (usually includes recorded notices, advertising, etc. before a lender can complete the foreclosure and can take a year or longer to finish).  The lender starts the actual Trustee’s Sale amount with only the amount owed on the loan plus any costs accrued and may not increase their bid at the sale (so if the house is worth more than the amount owed, the lender cannot bid against other purchasers in an attempt to make a profit).  If the home went back to the lender and ultimately HUD, then no other purchasers outbid the lender’s opening bid to acquire the property.  It sounds as though that after more than a year and a half, the property has gone to foreclosure and is now owned by HUD. 

If no one outbid the lender at the foreclosure sale it is likely the balance owed on the loan made it unattractive for other potential owners or investors to buy the property.  You may still be able to contact HUD and purchase the home based on the same consideration they give to heirs, 95% of the current market value if they  don’t have to pay for real estate services to sell the home.  I don’t know if this is an option or not. But if the balance owed was higher at the time of foreclosure, this would have been the same ultimate cost to keep the home at that time (the payoff amount on the loan or 95% of the current market value whichever is less) if they allow you to complete the transaction at this time under these terms.  It’s worth a shot if that is acceptable to you.  

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Kevin B.
Lender gets news of the last borrowers death by what means, if not by the exec of the trust, or a family member?
Expert Answer

Hi Kevin,

The vast majority of the time the lender is notified by services they subscribe to that monitor data bases such as the social security data base.  When individuals pass, hospitals, mortuaries and others are required to make certain notifications and there are services that monitor these data bases and can alert lenders and others when individuals receiving benefits have passed.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Kevin B
What are the HUD guidlines for putting ones property in a trust, before refinancing an existing reverse mort?
Expert Answer

Hi Kevin,

There are very few trusts these days that do not meet the HUD parameters.  HUD is very concerned that the trust protects the borrowers' interests without causing issues when/if the borrower passes and most trusts do just that.  If you plan to place the property into a trust, just have your trust reviewed before you record the Deed that transfers the title and once you receive the approval, you can transfer the title with no issues.  If there are any changes that need to be made to the trust, they can easily be made before anything is recorded with the property.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Stephen M.
Irrevocable Trust owns the property... Can the executives trustees execute reverse mortgage?
Expert Answer

I cannot answer this question without seeing the trust and having it reviewed.  Typically it is better if the trust is revocable, but there have been instances when irrevocable trusts have been approved as well.  You would have to submit the trust for approval and then we would be able to tell you if it would be acceptable and who would need to execute the loan documents.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Glenda B.
How much time does the executor of the trust have to report the death of the last borrower.
Expert Answer

Hi Glenda,

I would be willing to guess that lenders receive notification most of the time by means other than the family so when you ask "how much time...", I'm not sure if you are referring to the time before the lender finds out anyway or what.  I think that being ready and having a plan really helps when the time comes and expressing that plan to the servicer when called will make all the difference in the world.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Tom G.
I became a trustee for a trust created by my cousin before he passed away. He has since passed away and I am managing his affairs. He owned a single family residence which is now part of the trust assets. My cousin left a life estate for his friend who occupies the home and will continue to occupy until her death. Cash is running out---is a reverse mortgage an option?
Expert Answer

HUD does have a provision to allow for Life Estates but you must be able to meet the HUD parameters as specified below.  Since I believe the way you have explained this the trust would be the "Remainder man", it would not meet the HUD requirements as stated but that could be determined with a full review of the circumstances if you wish to pursue it further.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Helen
If there is a trust on the house, can I still apply for reverse mortgage?
Expert Answer

Good Afternoon Helen,

There are some trusts that would not be acceptable but by and large, most trusts do meet the HUD parameters and therefore do allow borrowers to place the reverse mortgage on those properties.  However, if you are concerned that the trust in which your property is included does not meet HUD guidelines, we would be happy to go over it with you at your convenience.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Carl M.
I want to buy a house and title in my revocable trust is this possible?
Expert Answer

Hello Mr. Muller,

You are welcome to close in your revocable trust. We must request a full copy and have it reviewed with our title companies trust attorney as a condition of your loan approval.  

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From David S.
My mom put her house in a living trust. She has a reverse mortgage on it. She has passed away, can i or do i transfer the house deed to me who is the beneficiary of the property?
Expert Answer

Hi David,

I am sorry but I really can't advise you on such matters.  Each trust is a bit different and I don't know how your mom set hers up, nor could I give legal advice on the title even if I did have a copy.  I would suggest you contact the attorney your mom used to establish the trust if you don't have legal representation of your own you can ask questions of and I am sure they can tell you what steps you should take to ensure the title is as it should be.


Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From john
I have the home in sole trust. I am unmarried but have lived with my "wife" for years. She inherits the home by last will. Do we qualify for this program?
Expert Answer
Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Blanca
If my dad has a living trust and wants a reverse mortgage, is there any additional legal work needed?
Expert Answer

Hi Blanca-

There is a trust review that has to be done by the lender to be certain that the trust does meet HUD guidelines but the cost of the review is sometimes covered by the lender and when it is not, it is usually less than $200 and can be added to the closing costs rather than paid in advance, out of pocket.  Most of the trusts we see do meet the guidelines but every once in a while we do need to get an amendment drawn up to meet the requirements and that is usually quick and easy.  The only way to know though is for you to submit the trust to the lender and let them do their review. 

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Debbie
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. We live in AR and my husband and I have a irrevocable trust. My question is if something were to happen to him would I be able to get a reverse mortgage since it is not mentioned in the trust? -Debbie
Expert Answer

The trust would have to be approved by the lender as meeting HUD guidelines and one of the things they look for is that the trust is revocable, not irrevocable (among other things). I am not an attorney and obviously could not give advice on a trust I had not seen even if I was so I would suggest that you find an attorney who renders legal opinions on trusts for lenders as to whether or not they meet HUD guidelines and have the trust reviewed. If it doesn't meet the standards and cannot be changed, the property would be ineligible for HUD lending programs and you really need to know that.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer

More on Reverse Mortgages & Trusts from our blog:

3rd Party Resources:

(31 votes, average: 4.97 out of 5)
How do you rate this article?