Top ↑
Home / Questions / How do you report reverse mortgage fraud?

A person I know from the Palm desert, CA. Has rented her home and moved to Florida. I know she has been gone 3 years. I have some of her bank info. Who do I contact to report her?

By Marseille L. on 11.21.2018

Hello Marseille,

We do not encourage borrowers to obtain a reverse mortgage and then rent to the property out and move away as that creates additional burdens on the HUD MIP fund and endangers the program for everyone else who needs it.   We also do not encourage anyone to do anything that might be considered illegal. 

I am not sure how you obtained another individual’s bank records and certainly would not encourage you to divulge another person’s private records to anyone.  However, you can get public information and report an abuse of the reverse mortgage program to HUD.  If you know the property address, the HUD Case Number will appear on the recorded Deed of Trust. 

In Riverside county HUD cases, that number would have been received by the Santa Ana Homeownership Center (HOC) and that number will start with 048-…  With that number, you could contact HUD and notify them of the nature of the occupancy.  They can contact the servicer to do an occupancy inspection, but you may be spinning your wheels.  Whether or not they respond or how quickly though will be entirely up to them and HUD has not been extremely easy to contact or swift to move in most instances.

The FHA/HUD numbers are available online, but I warn you in advance, I don’t know how helpful they will be.  HUD does not service the loan and they may or may not do much to assist you.  Without knowing who the servicer is, there really isn’t a clear path you can follow to notify the right entity.


13 people have given this answer a thumbs up
Close Menu