Top ↑
Home / Ask ARLO™ / Topic: Conservatorships

Hi, I'm ARLO and I Love Questions!

All Reverse Mortgage's resident expert ARLO loves to answer questions. No question is too big or small for him or any of our other experts to answer, so please ask away! We will respond as soon as possible.
Cancel and close this window
* Your privacy is very important to us, we will never sell or give your email address or info to any 3rd party unless you give us express permission to do so. By submitting this question you consent to allowing your question to be answered and posted to our community. To hide your personal identity we always use first name and initial of your last name.

Reverse Mortgage Conservatorship

Please input a search term

Expert Answers on Conservatorships You Can Trust!

Your reverse mortgage questions are answered by All Reverse Mortgage, Inc. CEO & industry expert Michael G. Branson, with over 40 years of experience in the mortgage banking industry.

Important Conservatorship Resources:

Can't Find the Answer?
Ask Me a Question!

Answered By Our Experts

Question From Judy B. on 1/20/2019
My sister and I recently gained Conservatorship and Guardianship of our 79 yr old mother who was diagnosed with Dementia. She had applied and received a Reverse Mortgage prior to all the Court Proceedings. She took out about $50K, paid a few bills and deposited the remainder of the funds in her Edward Jones Account. After all this happened, we were awarded Conservatorship. The situation now is--she lives in Kentucky, I live in Tennessee and my sister lives in Florida. Reverse Mortgage statements continue going to her address along with Withdrawal Coupons. We are afraid she is going to withdraw another large amount from her RM account and spend it frivolously before we get a chance to straighten out everything with the RM co. She has gotten herself in tremendous debt over the years and we are trying to clean up her mess. I have faxed a copy of the court ordered documents to the Reverse Mortgage Company showing we have permanent Conservatorship over our mother. I guess my question is if my mom sent a coupon request in to the company, would they honor it and send her the money despite having a faxed letter on hand stating not to distribute any more money to her and having copies of the court order.
Expert Answer

Hi Judy,

They should not, but I would not leave it to chance!  Have you spoken with the company yourself and verified the receipt of your information and right to conduct business on your mom’s behalf?  I would also send a registered letter to the company with signed receipt required giving them legal notice of your court appointed duties and putting them on notice that they are not to disburse any funds whatsoever without your express consent.  The withdrawal form is one that is automatically included and goes with every statement, but I would not take any chances and would make sure I had the documentation.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Leticia S. on 8/21/2018
How to get conservertership on someone with severe dementia to obtain a reverse mortgage to pay for home care husband is fine wife has dementia.
Expert Answer

Hello Leticia,

It has to be done through the court.  I would suggest that you contact an elder care attorney and they can walk you through the process and give you an estimated timeframe for the courts in the area where the case would have to be heard.  Just remember that the person requesting the conservatorship should also ask for the specific right to apply for a reverse mortgage while in court as that will be needed for the loan when a conservatorship is being utilized.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Ruth G on 1/30/2018
I am a co-borrower on a reverse mortgage. The property is split in two lots with one lot having my husband's name & his deceased wife's name on that lot. My name and my husband's name is on the lot with the house but both lots are on the reverse mortgage. My husband had an old will from when his 1st wife was alive that his kids have tried to push through probate to gain executorship. My husband said he had a new will, naming me as executor, but gave a copy to one of his children for safe keeping and now it is non existent. I do not know what lawyer he was using at the time. I have found a partial document on his computer & a hand written note, naming executor. I have been in court trying be named executor. What are my options regarding the reverse mortgage? His children want to take the house from me.
Expert Answer

Hello Ruth,

I am not an attorney and therefore not allowed to give legal advice.  I would strongly recommend that you obtain competent legal representation as this sounds extremely unusual to me.  As a lender, I can tell you that we cannot put a reverse mortgage loan on two parcels, especially one that has another individual’s name on it other than our borrowers.  I would find it extremely unlikely that a lender would cross-collateralize more than one parcel with a reverse mortgage and especially so if the second parcel had a different individual’s name on it as that would create a cloud on title.  Talk to an attorney and let him/her tell you for sure.

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
Question From Clifton on 12/29/2017
Wife diagnosed with Alheimers. Went to Atty immediately and got DPA. Seven years later, now told DPA no good, need conservatorship. Need money to care for wife but can't get any out of the house and can't sell it as it is in Trust and they won't believe DPA. ????
Expert Answer

Good Afternoon,

Unfortunately that is one of the areas that we  do run into more than we would like to.  HUD cannot afford to have the mortgage challenged by family members years later saying that the borrower was not competent to sign the power of attorney and therefore the loan should be ruled invalid and that is why their rules for the use of powers of attorney and with incapacitated borrowers are what they are.  As you yourself just stated, you didn’t get the Power of Attorney until AFTER your wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease and therefore, the Power of Attorney itself may be subject to challenge as to its validity if any family members were so inclined at any time in the future.

Have you looked into the conservatorship?  I know it is more time consuming and will cost some money to complete but it is an option and probably the best one at this time.  Your attorney can tell you how the process would work and probably handle the entire procedure for you if this is what you feel is best.  And I know it is late to say this now in your case, but this is why I personally have told all family members to be sure to have not only a will but trusts and POA’s completed long before you ever think you will need one.  As you are now finding out, if you wait until after a diagnosis of illness or an accident that impairs the mental capacity, then the POA may not be accepted as valid since there is no way to ascertain whether or not the individual actually had the capacity to know the full implication of the document they were signing at the time, thereby making it invalid.  

Do you have a question? click here for an answer
(31 votes, average: 4.94 out of 5)
Click Here to Rate This Page
Close Menu